Short sleeved ‘Newlyn’ Blouse #2

Green palm leaves print viscose from Rainbow Fabrics; I love this print so much that I bought two further lengths of 6 metres when it was on sale. Having completed the long sleeved blouse. I went straight ahead and cut out another blouse.

This I used the ‘Newlyn’ pattern which is a ‘hack’ of a New Look 6731 pattern bought from eBay with my favourite short sleeves. It took 1.4 metres from one of the 6 metre lengths (I am saving the other 6 metres for a dress). As this fabric is is so mobile I quickly applied the fusible interfacing to the under collar, top collar/facing and the sleeve hem facings.

All seams were French seams with the first pass made on the overlocker. I added the back darts and the narrow ties. I may go back later and add body darts in the front. The sleeve hem facing was hand stitched with herringbone stitch to avoid it flopping down. Hem on the facing and shirt tail-shaped hem on the bodice were overlocked and then turned and top stitched. Seven coconut shell buttons and buttonholes down the front worked on the Brother 550SE machine.

Conclusion: A lovely straightforward sew. I love, love this pattern! Next, as a palate cleanser to the Green Palm Leaves viscose I am working on a Forest Green Poly/cotton Drill pinafore dress to coordinate with the latest two blouses.

Project #2 completed 5th January 2022