Simplicity 5201 – A Sewing Overall

My next project was supposed to be a Blue linen-look cotton pinafore dress with scalloped hem. But as usual my plans changed. For the past 7 days my sewing has been mostly patchwork. Friday mornings are set aside for House Group with the Sprat & Winkle Quilters Group, Saturday I attended our first all-day workshop for a Scrappy Round the World quilt. I had a fabulous day, enjoying the atmosphere of 22 ladies all involved in patchwork, a quilt competition, sewing-themed tombola plus bring and buy sale, not to mention the terrific buffet lunch table accompanied by an audio visual presentation by two members who recounted the highs and lows of their road trip to the USA last year. On Monday I helped tutor a group in making the 5-piece crazy stack n’ whack blocks and therefore dressmaking has been on the back burner for several days. Whilst in Franklins I was tempted to buy 2 metres of a great printed linen-look fabric. With a background of khaki green this was printed with reproductions of French advertisements for scissors and other sewing related products. The fabric cried out to be made up into a sewing overall. I used a Daisy Kingdom/Simplicity pattern no. 5201 for this iconic apron. I made view A which is the shorter of the two views. The pattern calls for the apron to have all edges bound with bias binding but as did not have sufficient fabric to make this, I compromised by binding only the neckline and armholes. The back edges and hem were overlocked before machine stitching a very fine hem. I am pleased with the result and plan to make another with baking-theme printed fabric. I will make the same size and length but with a couple of minor adjustments. I will set the pockets slightly further apart and make some shaping to the silhouette by adding a couple of body darts in the front.

pattern envelope   01