Small ‘Maggie’ Bag – a trial run

Small Maggie Bag – Front

For the upcoming ‘Maggie’ bag workshop, I needed to calculate the cutting plan for the smallest-sized bag. The best way to do this is to make a bag. It is so much easier to check the proportions when you have an actual bag in front of you.

I checked my stash of bag-making fabrics and pulled out a script-print linen from New Threads, Weyhill Fairground, which co-ordinated really well with some faux suede (source unknown).

Fabrics: Linen, Faux Suede, Quilting Cotton

I checked back to the cutting plans for the large and medium-sized bags and then made some size decisions based on those comparisons and proportions. I cut the bottom panel, straps and flap from the faux suede. The top panel, top binding strip, external slip pocket and external zipped pocket were cut from the linen fabric. For the lining I used a fat quarter of cotton print purchased from Fabricland. The wadding was a one-side fusible Bosal ® and the zips for the pockets came from my stash.

I did some test stitching and was a little concerned that the faux suede was a real b….. to sew. But hey ho – onwards and upwards!

I decided to go ‘off plan’ with the flap which for the other bags in the range have a twist lock. This bag would have a circular grommet on the flap which would then be fastened by passing through a strap which would be secured with a popper.

Grommet and strap popper top fastening in nickel finish

Underside of the popper is plastic

The construction of the bag was fairly straightforward with only a few minor adjustments to the dimensions of pieces which were jotted down ready for a new cutting plan.

Internal slip pocket

Internal zip pocket

The finished bag measures 10½“ high x 7½“ wide x 2¾“ deep and was just about completed when I thought the long handles look a bit floppy and unsubstantial.

I decided to try inserting some piping cord – a method that I had seen on bag patterns from The Bobbin Patch. It would have been easier if I had planned ahead for this! By using the zip foot and some ‘gentle persuasion’ I managed to stitch the cord inside the folded handles. They now look much better and more in proportion to the rest of the bag. This method for handles is something that I will be using again on other bags. Next time I will make the straps a little wider so that I can use plastic tubing for the insert and thus avoid the ‘crinkles’ caused by the piping cord.

Small Maggie Bag – Reverse

On the whole I am pleased with the resultant bag although I am not impressed with the fusible Bosal ® which tends to leave a ‘dimpled/cellulite’ finish if you are not careful. I much prefer the sew-in version and will make a point of stocking up with some more as soon as possible.