Spring Floral Print Blouse

I have used up the final 2 yards of this fabric from my stash to make a pretty short sleeve blouse. Fortunately I love the print as I now have three garments made from this cotton fabric originally purchased from Fabricland in Salisbury. As I plan to make a White crepe de chine blouse with lace overlay collar I decided to “test run” this pattern which is a hack from a very old McCalls 6438 dress pattern. I changed the shaping of the collar and had previously drafted a different one-part sleeve. Although I have made up the pattern as a blouse in the past, with my variable weight and figure it is always a good idea to test run a pattern if it has not been sewn in the recent past. As the fabric is busy and I wanted some way to delineate the shawl collar I decided to add a frill of White Broderie Anglaise trim from my stash. The short sleeves are cut from the long-sleeve pattern that was in the poly bag and when I checked the width at the hem I realised that they were too wide. Not to be thwarted, I decided to gather the hem into a band and that easily solved the problem! I shaped the hemline so that the blouse can be worn outside of jeans  but also provides plenty of length should I decide to tuck into a skirt. All seams have been overlocked and the facings have been top-stitched to the bodice front to ensure they don’t flap about. So all in all the inside of the blouse looks tidy and smart.

mccalls 6438

Original Dress Pattern

01   02