Springtime Tee – Mona #4

Back last year I made three basic tee shirts using a hack of the bodice of the Moneta dress from Colette Patterns. Whilst I still have the sewing machine and overlocker set up for jersey sewing with White thread, I checked my fabric stash for more yardage that could be used for Mona tee shirts. The bodice of the ‘Mona’ is more fitted than the usual boxy tees and would make a nice change to the Fraser Breton-style tops.

I came across two lengths of Cotton jersey and one of lightweight Scuba that would be appropriate and decided to see if I could get three tops made in two days.

The first tee was made using the Painted Florals cotton jersey that I bought from Pin & Sew in March 2020 for a total cost of £17.50 for one metre. This is going to be an expensive tee shirt!

There was just 1 metre of fabric so short sleeves were dictated and I would wait until first fitting to decide whether or not to add a band at the sleeve hem. I did manage to cut the slightly longer length of the front and back from this piece of fabric. I stabilised the shoulder seam with some fusible seam tape and then cut a neckband, this time 1¾ inches wide. Previous neckbands had been cut 2 inches wide and this time I wanted to ‘trial’ a narrower one.

The neckband stitched on like a dream.

At first fitting I found that the sleeves were plenty long enough to have a deep hem of 2 inches and then a 1¼ inch hem on the body. I top stitched with a twin needle set 4mm apart and stitch length 4.00. The resultant tee shirt fulfils the requirement of a distinctive top and I look forward to wearing it as soon as the Spring weather warms up a little!

Project #18 completed 2nd March 2021