‘Suzie’ Breton-style top

Now that I have checked out the sizing and fit of the Fraser top view B by Sewaholic I am ready to make a Breton-style top – or two!

I have browsed the internet for ideas of colour and colour blocking ideas, there are so many that it has taken a little while to settle on a particular design.

In the end I was particularly drawn to the outfit worn by Suzie of ‘Threadquarters’ in a recent vlog cast. In fact the outfit was a combination of two tops, a polo neck underneath a scoop neck top which made the look similar to what I intend to make.

I have a selection of Ponte Roma fabric to use on this project:-

Navy with White stripe, White with Navy stripe, Red with White stripe, Burgundy with Ivory stripe (used to check fit of Fraser B) and two lengths of floral printed Ponte, one with Navy background (as used for View A in December) and another with a White background.

For the ‘Suzie’ version I will need plain Navy for a neck binding (not using a polo neck for this Spring/Summer version), sleeve binding and a narrow hem band. I will also need some Red for the bodice yokes, plus deep bands on the sleeves and hemline. The main body and sleeves will be in the White with Navy stripe.

Due to stretch of the Ponte Roma and the fact that I took only 1/4 inch seams at the sides of the body, the top has a relaxed fit. I decided against using Navy for the neckband as I thought it would be better to have the Red next to my face. For the sleeve bands I cut the Navy strips 2 inches wide and for the hem band, 3 inches wide. Once the top was placed onto the mannequin I noticed that the hem of the top and the hem of the sleeves fall at the same level. This is something that I will alter on my next iteration.

I am pleased with how the Breton-style top has turned out although not quite how I had hoped. Let’s see if I can improve on the next version.

Project #11 completed 8th February 2021