Tunic Top Mark II

tunic top 2

I previously made a “sample” top from woven fabric to demonstrate the project planned for a workshop on Saturday 28th November at New Threads, Weyhill Fairground, Andover, Hampshire.  The sample was made to fit me, let’s just say it is a generous size 20! New Threads happen to have a dressmaker’s dummy at the shop,  she is called Elsie and  is  a very slim size 12. As encouragement to prospective students of the workshop I have now made Elsie a new top in her size.

I used a novelty printed cotton from my stash. I was a little short of fabric and had to cut the back bodice as two pieces with a centre back seam. This time around I made bias binding for the neckline from a remnant of the same fabric. The binding was cut 2 inches wide, then folded in half lengthwise, wrong sides together in the same way that one uses binding on patchwork quilts. Combined with all the seams sewn as flat fell seams, including the setting in of the sleeves, means that there are no raw edges on the inside of the tunic. The hems on the tunic bodice and sleeves were sewn with a twin needle – such a great professional finish to the garment.