Yet More Freya Tops

Having completed my Christmas gift sewing with the ‘musical print’ apron for my husband, I quickly returned to dressmaking for me! I am steadily working my way through the stash of jersey fabrics and these will be ideal for the coming cold months.

I am currently using my smaller Brother machine, a 550SE which I bought as a ‘standby’ and ‘sewing retreat’ machine as the BIG Brother 4000D is currently packed away ready to go for a service in the New Year.

The first Freya is plain Black interlock cotton jersey bought from Quality Fabrics thru’ Amazon (£11.98 for 2 metres). The fabric is a lovely quality and stitched up with ease. For this version I cut 7/8ths length sleeves and hemmed them and the body of the top with twin needle stitching.

The second Freya is made from an unusual print and textured jersey bought from Dalston Mill (£9 for 2 metres). I struggled slightly with stitching this mobile fabric. Most of the seams were first stitched on the machine using a long, narrow zig-zag stitch before finishing on the overlocker. Again I made the sleeves 7/8ths in length and hemming was completed with the twin needle stitching.

I believe that Dalston Mill have over-supplied this particular fabric as I think there is still sufficient remnant to make an elasticated waist Jenna skirt by Seamwork or another short sleeved top. I will think about that for awhile.

I have just one more Freya cut out and ready to stitch using a Teal-coloured viscose jersey once again from Dalston Mill (£13.20 for 2 metres) and as soon as that has been completed I will be taking a refreshing break from jersey sewing and making up a calico toile of a new dress bodice that I have drafted. Watch this space…..

Projects #93 and #94 completed 17th December 2021